Wednesday 25 April 2012

Playdough coffee shop

After seeing this amazing idea for chocolate play dough i've been waiting for the right opportunity to use some. When 'The Fairy' asked to play 'cafe' I thought the time had come.


The raw ingredients (vanilla, strawberry and chocolate play dough see here for the recipe I use  NB playdough should not be eaten due the large amounts of salt in it).

Making cherries to go on top of the cakes and strawberry shortcake biscuits.


We even had some sprinkles (an old spice jar with sugar stars) to use when we were 'baking'

The play dough smelled so good I just had to join in and make some biscuits and cakes too


Our finished plate of goodies









'The Fairy' asked if she could be the waitress (we don't spend all our time in Starbucks- honest!). Together we made a menu and the 'The Fairy' took our orders using her clip board - great for developing literacy skills in a natural environment! I got to enjoy being served the cakes. You could extend this play idea using money, a till and even a receipt.

Language Focus
Vocabulary: names of food items- cake, biscuit, cherry, roll, cut, press
Other skills: pretend play and developing imagination, social skills- learning to order food, memory (our waitress went and got our orders and then brought them to us)

6 comments:

  1. These look good enough to eat! How fun that the waitress took orders and brought them to the table! I used to do that with my grandparents. Found this on Kid's Get Crafty! Thanks for sharing.
    Gina @famiglia&seoul

    ReplyDelete
  2. too good to Eat - am guessing they'll 'keep' for a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how fun!! They look so delicious--I hope no one tasted them though. Thank you for sharing at Happy Family Times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute sweets! I would have loved doing something like this as a kid. And Anna at The Imagination Tree is great isn't she?
    Thanks for linking to Kids Get Crafty! ~Alissa and Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow they look really good. There's no way I'd be able to stop my youngest eating them though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty your goodies look!! I bet the Fairy had a wonderful time with this imaginative play :-) Thank you for sharing on Happy Family Times x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts or comments and will try to reply to any questions you have.