Tuesday 29 January 2013

Vegetable Glue, review and sensory play

Vegetable Glue by Susan Chandler and Elena Odriozola is the cautionary tale of what happens if you only eat cake. The book is filled with gorgeously quirky illustrations of various parts of the narrator's body falling off (a problem which can be remedied by vegetable glue).


'The Fairy' adores this book. I think it really appeals to her sense of humour. I love reading it too. The book has a great flow and I love the illustrations. It contains plenty of rhyming words which make it a pleasure to read and gives the reader that all important boost in rhyme awareness - so it gets a thumbs up from me as a mum and as a speech and language therapist.

Review rating:
The Fairy Thinks: *****        The Grown up Thinks: *****
Summary: We love it!  

As we love it so much it seemed a natural choice to play 'vegetable glue'. We made 'glue' using cornflour (cornstarch) gloop, made from water and corn flour. I have an extra soft spot for gloop as its the first sensory play material I used at work so using it brings back fond memories. 

We added peas (there's lots of peas in the book) and some green food colouring. It was great watching the patterns the food colouring made as we played and explored.

The Fairy loved exploring how the gloop was a liquid and dripped



but was hard when you pushed it.

It was great for practising letter formation and mark making. 

Why not have a look at some of other gloop posts: Strawberries and Cream
Did you know we're also on Pinterest and Facebook? Follow us for us for more fun ideas.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE your gloop! My littlest asks for 'glu' everyday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try this Gloop thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one! Pinned it to my Sensory activities board. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never played with goop before. I will have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really cool - you should try it Carolyn (come back and let us know how you got on!)

      Delete
  5. Oh my the book sounds wonderful. I will have to find a copy! And what a fun activity.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty.

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting sounding book! I've never heard of it. Thanks for sharing at The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hadn't heard of it till we found it a the library. Now we love it!

      Delete
  7. I love the goopy goo! I must find the book. Thanks for linking to Science Sparks. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts or comments and will try to reply to any questions you have.