Monday 29 April 2013

Colour matching with The Princess and The Wizard

Are you familiar with the authour Julia Donaldson? I'm sure you'll recognise her monster the Gruffallo. This month the Poppins Book Nook theme is wizards. We chose to read The Princess and The Wizard by Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks. 


A wizard rather rudely interrupts a birthday party and turns the guests to stone. The plucky princess has to work out how to reverse the spell by changing her colour and shape.

We used the story as inspiration for a colour hunt. I wrote the names of several colours in English and Spanish on a sheet and The Fairy collected items to match.

Although The Fairy can't read yet her interest in text is growing and I'm keen to develop this in a gentle way. I'm keen to create a 'print rich environment';  naturally using writing in our activities is one way to do this. As we are a bilingual family I'm also keen for her to see Spanish as well as English text in her environment.


2131667e


4 comments:

  1. Great matching idea! We will have to try it when my little man gets a little older!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh! I like the English and the Spanish. Why did I never think of this!? Thanks for sharing :-)

    http://thisfineday.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to practice color matching and foreign language skills all in one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the inspiration for your hunt! I will be featuring this on The Sunday Showcase this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts or comments and will try to reply to any questions you have.