Tuesday 25 August 2015

Brilliant ideas for beautiful bookmarks inspired by Roald Dahl

Why not make a bookmark. They are really useful when children start reading chapter books and make a great personalised present too.

The Fairy has loved  listening to some of the easier Roald Dahl stories at bedtime - who wouldn't like hearing about a chocolate factory! We haven't moved onto some of the more challenging stories like Matilda yet but as she grows up I hope to.  

My favorite quote from Matilda is 

'The books transported her to new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives...she traveled all over the world while sitting in her little room'

such a great expression of the enjoyment and knowledge books have to offer. Something I'm keen to share with my children (though thankfully I'm a much nicer parent than Matlida's!!) 


When though about what might look good on a bookmark - the Frog thought shapes so I drew some for the children to colour in. The Fairy has a lovely stamping set and wanted to use that.



We thought abut which books we liked and why. The children drew characters from their favorite books to make 'I like reading' bookmarks- I love the Frog's Gruffallo, especially the prickles.


Afer they had gone to bed I chose two quotes that I liked - the one from Matilda and one from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

As a finishing touch I laminated the bookmarks to make them durable and added some tassels.

Have you made bookmarks with your child? Or how about making a book together?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts or comments and will try to reply to any questions you have.